The Schmeeckle Foundation is a private family foundation serving Martin County, Minnesota, whose mission is to carry on the legacy of long-time Martin County resident, Juanita Ellen (Teubner) Schmeeckle, providing grants for the betterment of Martin County.
Schmeeckle Foundation has three core focus areas:
Early childhood care and education
Serving the disabled and elderly
Promoting the arts.
The Schmeeckle Foundation recently approved grants totaling $220,505 for community enhancement projects in Martin County, Minnesota.
Grants are reviewed by the four trustees with assistance from the Southern Minnesota Initiative Foundation. Grants are awarded based on their likelihood to create measurable change in early childhood care and education, serving the disabled and elderly, and promoting the arts. This round of grantees includes:
- $4,500 to Ducks Unlimited, Inc. for a Conservation Education Program for children in Martin County.
- $13,000 to Fairmont Area Schools for Prairie Restoration and Forestry Reclamation.
- $24,500 to Fairmont Opera House for Programming Improvements/Outreach Programming.
- $20,435 to Martin County Pheasants Forever for No Child Left Indoors Mobile Education & Shooting Skills Trailer.
- $5,000 to The Arc Minnesota – Southwest Region for Healthy Relationships and Sexuality Workshops in Martin Co.
- $3,070 to Truman Public School District for Beginning Strings & Sound System.
- $150,000 to Habitat for Humanity of Martin and Faribault Counties for Students Building Homes and Hope project.
Applications for the next granting period are due April 30, 2020. For details on applying for a Schmeeckle Foundation Grant, or to learn about our trustees and advisory committee, please visit Schmeeckle Foundation website.
"The Schmeeckle Foundation Grants are designed to support projects that are innovative, involve collaboration, and achieve sustainable, measurable results."
~Schmeeckle Foundation Trustees.
Donald Fran Scholarship
Profinium, Inc., as Trustee of the Donald Franz Broadcast Journalism Scholarship Trust, is seeking applicants for scholarships to be presented to graduating seniors.
Don Franz was the voice of KATE Radio in Albert Lea. He began his career in broadcasting at age 15. Later in his career he was part owner and favorite announcer for KQUQ in Austin. Don enjoyed helping young people build and operate ham radios.
Scholarship awards will be made to seniors graduating from a High School in Freeborn or Mower Counties. The selection shall be based on a combination of grades and financial needs as well as the interest of the student to study in an area related to broadcast journalism. The student must be enrolled in a post-secondary educational institution.
This award has the potential to carry over to the winning student’s second, third and fourth years of college. Depending on the student’s grade point average (minimum 2.8) and enrollment in post-secondary education (must be full-time) Profinium, Inc. will allow a student to re-apply for the award in their second, third and fourth years of college.
Deadline for receiving this application is April 15, 2020.
Please return applications to:
Attn: Trust Dept.
PO Box 848
Fairmont, MN 56031-0848
Or email your completed application to Katie Ask at [email protected]